redhat 6.1 and openssh 3.1p1

Daniel Mayoss daniel.mayoss at nokia.com
Thu Mar 28 19:03:16 EST 2002

Hi,

I *really* hope this hasn't been fixed before, but I have a problem
which appears to be a bug in openSSH 3.1p1

Basically, it doesn't work...

sshd runs fine, root can log in fine, but a normal user cannot. The
error given to the user is simply 'permission denied'

I'm running a plain vanilla redhat 6.1 (a bit old, I know) with openSSL
as the SSL implementation.

I installed a different ssh implementation (from ftp.ssh.fi - I compiled
both, actually) and that works fine with all users.

Here is the debug output from sshd:

debug2: input_userauth_request: setting up authctxt for daniel
debug2: input_userauth_request: try method none
Failed none for daniel from 172.21.97.161 port 2418 ssh2
debug1: userauth-request for user daniel service ssh-connection method
keyboard-interactive
debug1: attempt 1 failures 1
debug2: input_userauth_request: try method keyboard-interactive
debug1: keyboard-interactive devs
Failed keyboard-interactive for daniel from 172.21.97.161 port 2418 ssh2

debug1: userauth-request for user daniel service ssh-connection method
password
debug1: attempt 2 failures 2
debug2: input_userauth_request: try method password
Failed password for daniel from 172.21.97.161 port 2418 ssh2
debug1: userauth-request for user daniel service ssh-connection method
password
debug1: attempt 3 failures 3
debug2: input_userauth_request: try method password
Failed password for daniel from 172.21.97.161 port 2418 ssh2
debug1: userauth-request for user daniel service ssh-connection method
password
debug1: attempt 4 failures 4
debug2: input_userauth_request: try method password
Failed password for daniel from 172.21.97.161 port 2418 ssh2
Connection closed by 172.21.97.161
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x806397c(0x0)