DISPLAY=unix:10.0 and localhost blues

Kevin Steves kevin at atomicgears.com
Fri Mar 29 06:24:13 EST 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Mark Pitt wrote:
:I have just finished battling with this and noticed it
:has been reported on HP systems too.
:
:Problem ist, if you have an sshrc file with:
:
:XKEY=`cat -`
:
:-n "$DISPLAY" && $XAUTH add $DISPLAY $XKEY
:
:then with SSH 3.1 this mysteriously fails, as the
:DISPLAY is now localhost:10.0 instead of $HOST:10.0
:
:I imagine the reasoning behind the change is to
:accomodate hosts that have no reachable hostname
:interfaces - and that certainly helps us, but it DOES
:require some docu !

the 3.1 release notes covered the change.  see sshd X11UseLocalhost.
i will try to add something to the sshrc example.  do you have some
suggestions?

:I have two bugs/features I would like to submit as
:diff - what do I have to do with diff ?

you can send them to the list, or if you don't want them lost/forgotten
use bugzilla.mindrot.org.