problems with -R

Ed Peschko esp5 at rama.comp.pge.com
Wed Nov 6 13:32:49 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 06:24:18PM -0800, Tim Rice wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Ed Peschko wrote:
>
> > ok, more about the password item... I'm still in the thick of it (looking at
> > deja and trying various solutions), but is it messy.
> >
> > IMO, ssh should *not* be this difficult; users/passwords from /etc/passwd
> > should be automatically enabled to connect without going through hoops like
> > this. In short:
> >
> > 	a) if a system uses md5 passwords, configure should *auto-detect* it,
>
> Care to provide a patch that does this without root permissions?

yes, you could do this fairly straightforward - you know that x distribution/
unix-variant has md5 passwords enabled by default, so you make a list. If you
see that os variant in that list, you enable the md5-password flag for the user.
If not, you don't. Won't work about 1 time out of 100, but in that case, you
give explicit flags. You also give a message in the configure that says you are
doing this.

Anyways, I gave up on the whole password authentication thing and made a
passkey. I don't think I should have had to do that..

Ed