workaround for 'hang on exit' bug does not seem to work

Thomas Binder binder at arago.de
Sat Nov 16 03:20:10 EST 2002

Hi!

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 10:15:47PM +0800, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
> Hi, I am using Redhat 7.3 which comes with openssh 3.1p1. I am
> running an antivirus software called vexira on this server. It
> starts of 2 daemon processes in the background. Whenever I
> stop/start these daemons in an ssh session, it hangs.
>
> I added "shopt -s huponexit" (without the quotes) in
> /etc/bashrc, but the hangs still occur. Any advice on this would
> be appreciated

Try starting your daemons with stdin, stdout and stderr redirected
to /dev/null.

E.g. when you're using an sh-compatible shell and your daemons
have a single startup script '/etc/init.d/vexira' (this is only an
assumption), you'd have to type

/etc/init.d/vexira < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1

Ciao

Thomas