weird behaviour of commands option : bug or not ?

Jean-Louis LY jean-louis.ly at eads-telecom.com
Tue Nov 26 02:40:56 EST 2002

Hello

I think I've found a bug but since no one replied to me on comp.security.ssh,
I'll try my luck here.
On my client, PreferredAuthentications is set to publickey,password.
When using the commands option in authorized_keys file like
command="ls" ssh-dss <key>... it is supposed to connect using the private key
associated with <key>, perform ls and then quits.
Until here everything is fine.
Then I tried to delete the private key file associated to <key> on my client.
Then if I connect, it asks for my password and once I'm logged in, it performs
ls and quits again.
So why does it still read the authorized_keys file since I deleted the key ?
I looked into it a bit further and I found that the public key file on my
client is the one messing up. If I rename it (by default, it is id_dsa.pub)
then everything works fine (password authentication and then I'm logged in
with a shell). It seems somehow that the public key file is read no matter
what and compares it to the keys found in authorized_keys.
So bug or not ?

Thanks for your answers.