AIX 4.3.3/OpenSSH 3.5p1 compile problem

David Steiner david.r.steiner at Dartmouth.EDU
Tue Nov 26 08:25:24 EST 2002

My apologies if this is not the appropriate forum for this but I have
posted twice to the ssh security list and have not received any
replies. I would appreciated any help that anyone can offer. TIA

-------

Ok, this is a repost from awhile back to which I received no replies.
Originally, I was dealing with 3.4p1 but I am running into the same
problem now with 3.5p1. I would greatly appreciate it if someone
could point me to what I may be missing.

I am having a problem building OpenSSH on my AIX 4.3.3 box. It fails
during the make with the following error:

         xlc -o ssh ssh.o sshconnect.o sshconnect1.o sshconnect2.o
sshtty.o readconf.o clientloop.o -L. -Lopenbsd-compat/
-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/athena/lib -L/usr/afsws/lib
-blibpath:/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/athena/lib -lssh
-lopenbsd-compat -lkafs -ldes -lkrb -lz  -lcrypto -lld -ldes
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .issuid
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more information.
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 8

Building against the following:

zlib 1.1.4
openssl 0.9.6g (compiled with xlc)
krb4-1.2 (compiled with xlc)
tcpwrappers 7.6

This is the output from configure:

OpenSSH has been configured with the following options:
                      User binaries: /usr/ssh/bin
                    System binaries: /usr/ssh/sbin
                Configuration files: /etc/ssh
                    Askpass program: /usr/ssh/libexec/ssh-askpass
                       Manual pages: /usr/ssh/man/manX
                           PID file: /var/run
   Privilege separation chroot path: /var/empty
             sshd default user PATH:
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/afsws/bin:/usr/ssh/bin:/usr/local/bin
                     Manpage format: man
                        PAM support: no
                 KerberosIV support: yes
                  KerberosV support: no
                  Smartcard support: no
                        AFS support: yes
                      S/KEY support: no
               TCP Wrappers support: yes
               MD5 password support: no
        IP address in $DISPLAY hack: no
           Use IPv4 by default hack: yes
            Translate v4 in v6 hack: no
                   BSD Auth support: no
               Random number source: ssh-rand-helper
      ssh-rand-helper collects from: Command hashing (timeout 200)

               Host: powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0
           Compiler: xlc
     Compiler flags: -g
Preprocessor flags: -I/usr/local/ssl/include -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/athena/include -I/usr/afsws/include
       Linker flags: -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/athena/lib -L/usr/afsws/lib
-blibpath:/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/athena/lib
          Libraries: -lwrap  -lkafs -ldes -lkrb -lz  -lcrypto -lld -ldes

I did get one warning from configure but not sure if it is related:

checking if your system defines WTMPX_FILE... no
configure: WARNING: Please check and edit -blibpath in LDFLAGS in Makefile
configure: creating ./config.status

  -bloadmap produced the following error:

ld: 0711-318 ERROR: Undefined symbols were found.
         The following symbols are in error:
  Symbol                    Inpndx  TY CL Source-File(Object-File) OR
Import-File
{Shared-object}
                               RLD: Address  Section  Rld-type
Referencing Symbol
---------------
  .issuid                   [238]   ER PR
afssys.c(/usr/athena/lib/libkafs.a[afss
ys.o])
                                    000000a0 .text    R_RBR    [109] <.try_aix>
ER: The return code is 8.

TIA
-David-
--
David R. Steiner                               david.r.steiner at dartmouth.edu
UNIX System Manager                            Phone:  603.646.3127