tru64 unix openssh-3.4p1 problems

Henry LeRoy Miller, Jr. miller at al.noaa.gov
Wed Oct 9 03:09:31 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm attempting to get openssh-3.4p1 up and running on our DEC/Compaq
Alpa workstations.

They are running Tru64 Unix 5.1A.  I compile the package myself.

Openssh-3.1 worked perfectly, with the default sshd_config file.

Openssh-3.4p1 works, if I set UsePrivilegeSeparation to "no" in the
sshd_config file.

NOTE: I have a secondary issue with the ListenAddress default setting
(0.0.0.0); I must either explicitly set it the server machine IP
address, or must set the address 0.0.0.0 as allowed for sshd in my
tcp-wrappers hosts.allow file.  I only mention this in case it is
relevant - I don't believe it is related to privsep problems.

When I have UsePrivilegeSeparation at the default setting ("yes"), I
am able to initiate an ssh connection (subject to the NOTE info
above), but the the connection ultimately fails with the following
log entries:

  Accepted password for uther from 140.172.241.43 port 2762 ssh2
  cannot set login uid 8970: error Not owner.
  audgen(LOGIN): Permission denied
  fatal: Couldn't establish session for uther from gawain

I have the following in my /etc/passwd file:
  sshd:Nologin:22:22:sshd privsep:/var/empty:/bin/false

and the following in my /etc/group file:
  sshd:*:22:

and the following directory exists:
  drwx------  2  root  system  8192  Oct 2  09:30  empty

I've also tried the following in my /etc/passwd file:
  sshd:*:22:22:sshd privsep:/var/empty:/bin/false

Is this one of the few issues with some operating systems that is
still being worked on?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Henry Miller