SSHD logging on Solaris 8?

Courtin Bert b.courtin at t-online.net
Wed Oct 9 16:46:31 EST 2002

Hi Eric,

logging is configured in sshd_config with

-
# Logging
# obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging
SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel INFO
-

where 'SyslogFacility' specifies which "facility" (sorry;-), i.e. e.g. 'auth', 'daemon', 'mail' etc should be used and with 'LogLevel' you can specify how verbosely sshd should be.

Of course the syslog-daemon (syslogd) must be running and configured in the right way, e.g.:

In /etc/syslog.conf add someting like

-
# added for ssh-daemon
# 20020619 Bert Courtin
auth.info;auth.debug                                    /var/log/authlog
-

After configuring your syslogd, you'll have to stop and start it again or send a kill -HUP PID to the process to let your changes take effect.

Please also refer to the manual pages for sshd as well as syslogd.

Kind regards,
Bert Courtin