AIX remote root logins

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sun Oct 13 14:58:35 EST 2002

Ben Lindstrom wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Darren Tucker wrote:
> This kinda touches on another question that was brough up for AIX and a
> few other platforms.  Is is valid to allow sshd to run as a non-root
> user?

Well it's potentially useful... eg could run a non-root sshd in a chroot
to permit key-authenticated portforwards only (ok, this is a contrived
example, but you get the idea).

In accordance with the Unix philosophy I don't think you should stop
people doing dumb things if it also stops them doing useful things.

If it bugs someone they can "chmod 500 sshd".

> I'm skimming around in the code, and there is presidence for this type of
> change.  Is this the only thing tripping OpenSSH from running the as
> non-root for AIX for regression?

Yes.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)