A question about OpenSSH_3.4p1 on Solaris 8

William R. Knox wknox at mitre.org
Sat Oct 26 03:50:11 EST 2002

I assume that the CPU overhead of splitting the processing into the two
separate processes involves only the communication between the processes,
given that the root process only handled things that have to be handled by
root and the user-owned process takes care of everything else - therefore,
there should be VERY little increased load as a result of privilege
separation (which you can turn off as well, if you like) and only a
limited additional memory use (for the additional process). Worth it for
the protection, I think.

			Bill Knox
			Senior Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
			The MITRE Corporation