Determining Local IP Address within .profile

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Sep 5 00:17:13 EST 2002

Mario Paumann wrote:
> I haven't found an easy solution to determine the local IP to which
> the remote SSH client is connected to the local SSHD. We use
> MC/Serviceguard which can create many Interfaces where a remote client
> could connect and we like to know within .profile which interface the
> client has connected to.

I think patching sshd to provide a $SSH_SERVER variable is cleaner, but
you could use the the client IP and port to look up the matching local
ip/port pair via netstat, eg:

remote=`echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1":"$2}'`
local=`netstat -n | awk '/'$remote'/{print $4}'`

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.