Openssh Failure

Winston Danjuma NcHamukong wdanjuma at lineone.net
Mon Sep 30 07:58:31 EST 2002

Dear Mr. Lindstrom,

I have just installed openssh-3.4 on  solaris 8 sparc with the following
options below but when I try to start the openssh daemon using the supplied
script I get this error message;

"starting /usr/local/openssh/sbin/sshd... Killed
/etc/init.d/opensshd: Error 137 starting /usr/local/openssh/sbin/sshd...
bailing."

Another problem encountered during installation was this error "echo "WARNING:
Privilege separation user \"sshd\" does not exist". However, I resolved
this by creating a user for the sshd daemon as shown below.

uid=60003(sshd) gid=60003(sshd)

these are the options used;

./configure  \
--prefix=/usr/local/openssh \
--sysconfdir=/usr/local/openssh/etc/ssh \
--with-pam  \
--disable-suid-ssh \
--without-rsh \
--with-ipv4-default \
--with-md5-passwords \
--with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/openssl \
--with-zlib=/usr/local/lib/libz.* \
--with-xauth=/usr/openwin/bin/xauth \
--with-tcp-wrappers=/usr/local/bin \
--with-skey=/usr/local/skey-1.1.5 \
--with-pid-dir=/var/run \

The above options were used with the previous version of openssh and it
worked well, without any problem.

I look forward to hearing from you at your very earliest convenience.

Regards,

Winston D.NcHamukong