installation problems v 5.6.1

John Tackman john.tackman at hex.fi
Wed Apr 9 17:53:45 EST 2003

Dear Alf,

> please, I'm trying to install the newest version of ssh, but I fail
> every time (see the output below) :
> the output of the configure complained, that there's no openssl, but I
> installed openssl before:

> configure: WARNING: stddef.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: stddef.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
> configure: WARNING: stddef.h: proceeding with the

> checking whether snprintf correctly terminates long strings... no
> configure: WARNING: ****** Your snprintf() function is
> broken, complain
> to your vendor

> configure: error: *** Can't find recent OpenSSL libcrypto (see
> config.log for details) ***

Ok, you have a couple of possibilities here.

OpenSSH seems to be a bit picky about how the binutils package works, I recently ran into a problem where:

a) OpenSSH 3.4p1 and 3.5p1 would neither accept OpenSSL0.9.7a but happily accepted 0.9.6i
b) OpenSSH accepted no version of OpenSSL since it was compiled with a broken binutils package

So, If you are installing from binary rpm packages, you might want to try the latest OpenSSH and OpenSSL and see if that works, if not. Then try latest OpenSSH and OpenSSL source packages but compile them AFTER you have made sure your binutils (ld,ar,as etc) are up to date as well as gcc (i got it working with binutils-030327 and gcc-3.2.2, then compiled OpenSSL 0.9.7a and then OpenSSH 3.5p1)

My system was a Solaris8 running on sparc the config.log that's mentioned in the OpenSSL -message was warning about ELF being faulty, this led me onto the binutils package.

--
John

This transmission is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message may contain information that is private and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution, dissemination or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by returning the e-mail and delete the original message. Thank You. The content of this message is not given or endorsed by HEX.
HEX reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. The attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving our e-mail server.
HEX shall not be liable for any consequences of any virus being passed on.