[openssh] Re: sshd takes 15 minutes to start

Peter Stuge stuge-openssh-unix-dev at cdy.org
Sun Aug 3 05:29:03 EST 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:58:34PM +1000, Darren Tucker wrote:
> I don't know if ssh-rand-helper can do anything sane about this....
> possibly set a timeout for a few seconds, kill -9 the errant command, then
> abandon it and let init clean it up if it exits?  Comments/suggestions
> anyone?

This is a good idea.

In order to catch this problem, I know I would want a notice of some sort.
Otherwise it might lead to a lot of defunct processes that suddenly show up
out of nowhere.
(Or after a major update, when many things have changed at once..)

An option to leaving the process to init is to fork() ssh-rand-helper to
show more clearly what's going on, but the log or stderr message is now even
more important, since this will obviously use up twice as many PIDs.

The latter will probably result in more emails to the list too, unless the
error message is good and very visible.

I was thinking of doing something with resource limits to get kernel help,
but the kernel doesn't always know about real time life of processes, and
I don't expect the interface to be very well standardized either, so scratch
that.

//Peter