smtp over ssh probs

Peter Stuge stuge-openssh-unix-dev at cdy.org
Sun Aug 3 07:26:03 EST 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 04:30:51PM -0300, Marcos Dione wrote:
[..]

> passwd/passphrase questions. then I add a line like this:
>
> 8000 stream tcp nowait mdione.mdione /usr/bin/ssh ssh -T -C -p 2222 -i \
> /home/mdione/.ssh/id_rsa vialibre.dyndns.org socket \
> jabber.vialibre.org.ar 5222 [****]
>
>     to the /etc/inetd.conf.

[..]

>     even more strange, if I 'just' do:
>
> ssh -C -L 8002:carmen:25 -p 2222 vialibre.dyndns.org
>
>     and then I flush the masqmail's queue, it works![***] the problem w/

inetd isn't very good, for many reasons more or less relevant in a
corporate network protected from the internet by an IT department.

You've figured out a solution that works, my suggestion is that you stick
with it and try to improve usability. Keep in mind that you can enable
multiple port forwards with one ssh command. This will hopefully also make
you set a passphrase on your key, so that anyone with access to your work
storage do not automatically have access to your home system.

For keeping services running permanently with much more control over things
than possible with init, I heartily recommend DJB's supervise and friends.
See http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html

//Peter