AIX problem

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat Aug 23 10:24:03 EST 2003

Jack Gostl wrote:
> I can buy that. I have no trouble doing the rebuild. The problem is that
> the remote systems are only accessible through ssh. So I either figure out
> a smart way to shut it down, reinstall and restart through a batch file or
> I throw myself on the mercy of the firewall guys. (A pitifully small
> target.)

Killing the listening sshd will not kill the running sessions, they'll
just end up with a ppid of 1.

You can also do a couple of things to cut down the risk of snookering
yourself:

1) use "./sshd -t" to test your config after building.

2) start an sshd on another port, then connect from the host itself:
	$ ./sshd -p 2022 -o PidFile=/tmp/sshd.pid
	$ ssh -p 2022 localhost

3) When doing a "make install", keep a couple of spare sessions running,
then connect to the new sshd in a new window.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.