Problems with port forwarding on Suse Linux 9.0

Bob Fischer citibob at eecs.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 1 10:29:52 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 17:42, Andrew Farmer wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 08:37:51 -0800, Bob Fischer muttered:
> > Problem: I'm trying to forward a port (say, port 25) of a SuSE 9.0 Linux
> > system to an external client system (in this case running RedHat 9.0).
> > It doesn't work, and the problem seems to be on the SuSE side.
>
> The problem is that only root can bind to "privileged" ports (<1024).
> You'll have to ssh in as root to create this forwarding.

Good thought, but already I tried it.  Anyway, I get the same problem
with unpriviledged ports.

Here's the log of hte same problem, ssh-ing into the SuSE server as
root:

client> /usr/bin/ssh -f -L 5599:localhost:25 root at suse-server sleep 100
Password:
client> telnet localhost 5599
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
Connection closed by foreign host.

-- Bob