ssh not resolving host names on HP-UX 11i

Tom Orban TORBAN at do.usbr.gov
Sat Dec 6 10:20:13 EST 2003

>>> Tim Rice <tim at multitalents.net> 12/05/03 03:09PM >>>

> Is 11.11 the first version that has it?

As far as I know, yes.  (there's some oddball HP releases that I can't
speak to -- I believe like VVOS (Virtual Vault), and perhaps some
others).  As far as the "mainstream" production OS's, it went from 11.00
to 11.11 (or 11i).  And yes, 11.11 is the first time getaddrinfo is
included.

> What does ./config.guess say on the 2 machines?

On an 11.00 box:
hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00

On the 11.11 box:
hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11

> What does uname -r say on the 2 machines?

B.11.00
B.11.11

I'm assuming you can figure which is which  :-)

> What does uname -v say on the 2 machines?

On the 11.00 box:

On the 11.11 box:

>I'd rather not AC_DEFINE(BROKEN_GETADDRINFO) on a machine
>that does not have getaddrinfo.

How much will it really matter?  I believe the key symbol when
compiling really is HAVE_GETADDRINFO.  I think BROKEN_GETADDRINFO is
only used to determine whether to undef HAVE_GETADDRINFO.  (If I read
what's going on in defines.h correctly)  In either case, that seems more
like a developer's call than an SA type (like myself).  I just have to
get it running. :-)

-Tom