Partial authentication

erikvcl at silcom.com erikvcl at silcom.com
Tue Dec 30 04:36:06 EST 2003

Dmitry,

The original partial authentication patch for the pre-privilege-separation
version of SSH was written by Carson Gaspar.  An improvement on this patch
was made by Maciej Bogucki.

As an employee of Cyclades, I ported this patch to the current version of
SSH with privilege separation since we needed this functionality.
The work that I did is quite a hack, but it works well enough.  I do not
have the extensive knowledge of SSH that I should have to make this kind
of improvement in as elegant a way as the core SSH developers.

Although I have passed my work along (and the code is available in our
product's freely-available CDK), there seems to be little interest in
partial authentication among the OpenSSH community (I've brought up this
topic before).

I would like to see partial authentication in OpenSSH as I think that it
is a valuable feature.  It would be great to see improvements to the work
that I've done to turn a strictly functional patch into one that is
elegant and verified to be free of security concerns.

Regards,

Erik.