Option to limiting sshd "banner" to interactive/password-auth/tty (or something along those lines) sessions

dknodel at csc.com.au dknodel at csc.com.au
Tue Feb 11 19:50:48 EST 2003

Hi.
      It would be of utmost utility if there were a way to cause the sshd
"banner" configuration setting to only print the banner in certain
circumstances.
What I'm actually after is avoiding printing out the banner for
non-interactive sessions, so that if I run "ssh somehost ls" I don't get
the login banner, but if I just type "ssh somehost" I do (at least if I've
gotta use password authentication).  Or something along those lines.  Any
of the following things would work for me, but I'm not sure which would be
most useful for others:

1 - an ssh/scp flag or setting to request that the remote sshd not display
the banner for a given connection (probably messier)

2 - a new sshd_config keyword to indicate, if a banner file is set, when to
display it (only for sessions with a tty, or only for sessions where a
remote command hasn't been specified by the client, or only for sessions
where public-key authentication fails, eg. password prompt will be issued).

I would be very greatful if such an enhancement made its way into the code.

Cheers,
David Knodel
dknodel at csc.com.au