Putty won't work when priv-sep turned on on AIX systems

Mark Janssen maniac at maniac.nl
Wed Feb 12 01:34:28 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 00:19, Damien Miller wrote:
> > Hmm, can't reproduce this with openssh 3.5p1 / AIX 4.3.3 / PuTTY 0.53b.
> > The CHANNEL_OPEN packet I see is identical to the one in your log.  What
> > compiler and configure options are you using?

What OpenSSL version are you using... I used a custom compiled version
of 0.9.6g, which I have now replaced by the bullfreeware.com version of
0.9.6.7. Re-compiling my openssh with this SSL library results in the
same error.

SSH is compiled with the following options: (from ./configure...)

config.status: creating config.h

OpenSSH has been configured with the following options:
                     User binaries: /usr/bin
                   System binaries: /usr/sbin
               Configuration files: /etc/ssh
                   Askpass program: /usr/lib/ssh-askpass
                      Manual pages: /usr/share/man/manX
                          PID file: /var/run
  Privilege separation chroot path: /var/empty
            sshd default user PATH:
/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
                    Manpage format: man
                       PAM support: no
                KerberosIV support: no
                 KerberosV support: no
                 Smartcard support: no
                       AFS support: no
                     S/KEY support: no
              TCP Wrappers support: yes
              MD5 password support: yes
       IP address in $DISPLAY hack: no
          Use IPv4 by default hack: yes
           Translate v4 in v6 hack: no
                  BSD Auth support: no
              Random number source: ssh-rand-helper
     ssh-rand-helper collects from: Unix domain socket
"/var/run/egd-pool"

              Host: powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0
          Compiler: gcc
    Compiler flags: -g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wno-uninitialized
Preprocessor flags: -I/opt/openssl -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/local/include
      Linker flags: -L/opt/openssl -L/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/local/lib
         Libraries: -lwrap  -lz  -lcrypto

> This may be libcrypto breakage - make sure that you check compiler
> options there too.

As specified above, I'm now using the bullfreeware openssl package. I'll
get the source instead and see if I can compile that one.

Could you send me your copy of libcrypto.a and libssl.a... I could test
a compile with those...

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT