openssh 3.5p1 with openssl-0.9.7a - long

Jason McCormick jason at devrandom.org
Sat Feb 22 16:49:52 EST 2003

> > scp: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.0.9.6:
> > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

With RedHat systems, you have to be careful because many things are
dependent (via RPM) on the base version of OpenSSL that came with the
original setup of the system.  If you look at the RedHat updates,
there's usually several co-existant versions of OpenSSL to be
installed.  The "normal" one and ones that provides dependencies for
binaries that are linked to older versions.  For example in the current
rawhide tree there's:

openssl-0.9.7a-1.i386.rpm (current)
openssl096b-0.9.6b-3.i386.rpm (depend provider)
openssl096-0.9.6-15.i386.rpm (depend provider)

You can install all of these together (they don't conflict) then you
have the latest and greatest OpenSSL.  Now, of course you're in the
middle of RedHat's move to glibc 2.3 so rawhide may or may not work for
you depending on where your system is, but you can always build from
the SRPMS which works equally well. The update tree follows roughly the
same setup and their 0.9.6b is patched up to the latest verion of
OpenSSL even though it's called 'b' still.

Anyway, this long-winded diatribe is how I've gotten around my SSL
problems in my vast array of RH 7.0 through 8.0 servers.

--
Jason McCormick
jason at devrandom.org