PAM account failure, funny ssh error

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Thu Feb 27 14:26:21 EST 2003

Hey all,

I'm getting a weird error from sshd:

Feb 16 11:32:49 syslog at snowman sshd[28740]: fatal: monitor_read: unsupported request: 32

I'm running sshd with Simon's GSSAPI patch but I don't think that's the
problem.  The issue appears to be with how ssh reacts to a failure in
the PAM account section.  As in, when the PAM account modules return a
failure, I get the message above instead of something more intelligent.
I'm trying to set things up in such a way that authentication is done
via Kerberos (or unix shadow if Kerberos fails) but authorization is
done via LDAP (or unix shadow if LDAP fails), and I'm doing the LDAP
portion in the 'account' PAM section.

Any thoughts?

	Thanks,

		Stephen