Core dump in sftp from CVS

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Jan 16 15:23:38 EST 2003

Damien Miller wrote:
> hmm. The code is wrong, but I don't think it should segv - automatic
> variables should be initialised to zero no?

I thought they were undefined and could contain whatever happened to be
on the stack (although a platform could choose to zero it, zero being
just as undefined as any other value). In one of my cases, i was 14.

[google]  http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/q1.30.html
static (global, static local) == zeroed.
automatic (local) == undefined.

> We have seen this before with Sun's compiler.

This was gcc 3.2 and 3.2.1.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
GPG Fingerprint D9A3 86E9 7EEE AF4B B2D4  37C9 C982 80C7 8FF4 FA69