sshd also talking HTTP

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Fri Jul 11 04:25:46 EST 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Dan Kaminsky wrote:

[..]
>     C'mon, Damien :-)  The very use of crypto is predicated on the fact
> that networks are imperfect.  Some people have more horrifyingly
> imperfect network than others.  And besides, how much scoffing at do we
> get from the IPSec boosters?

There is a reason ports are registered for services. =)  Same reason you
name your public server sane names like "www.mydomain.com" and
"mail.mydomain.com".  Because it is what people expect.  Be it right or
wrong.  The whole "lets pig pile everything on port 80/443" has become
extreme lately.

As for IPSec people.. Not seen too much from them.  besides.. IPSec is
much more complex and is not the end-all of all tools (nor should ssh be).

Personally my take is.. "UGH, yet another bloated feature.  My god our
code base is already too big to understand when I'm drunk!" =)

But I agree as a separate project in a generic form it may be semi-useful,
but that is outside the scope of our focus.

- Ben