Question about Finding C Source Files...

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Jul 16 07:56:40 EST 2003

Joey Doughly wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I was just wondering if any of you knew where I could find the source code
> to header files such as <sys/select.h>, <sys/endian.h>, <paths.h>,
> <netinet/in_systm.h>...

This isn't really an OpenSSH question, but...

You question is ambiguous, do you want to know where the header files
are located? (easy: /usr/include) or what the corresponding source
files for a given header are? (read on)

Some of these do not directly correspond to a C source file. E.g.
endian.h, paths.h exist purely to define types and preprocessor
macros to be used in other header files or in your programs.

The other headers define types and declare functions provided by
operating system (libc and or the kernel). One rarely needs to touch
these (unless one is, say, porting software).

If you are still curious, OpenBSD's libc is very well organised and
readable. http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/lib/libc/

-d