PAM_RUSER never set under ssh2?

Broadfoot, Kieran J Kieran.Broadfoot at gs.com
Sat Jul 19 01:13:52 EST 2003

Everyone,

First my apologies if this has been discussed before on this list, I was
unable to
find reference to it in the archives.  I have a pam module that requires
PAM_RUSER
to be set however Ive found that if I connect to the remote server (where
the pam
module is installed) via ssh the PAM_RUSER variable is never set.

The PAM_RUSER variable is set within auth-pam.c (line 239 in 3.6p1) as such:

int do_pam_account(char *username, char *remote_user)
{
  if (remote_user) {
    debug("PAM setting ruser to \"%.200s\"", remote_user);
    pam_retval = pam_set_item(__pamh, PAM_RUSER, remote_user);

however do_pam_account() is called in only two locations (auth2.c and
monitor.c) and
in both cases remote_user is passed as NULL.  As such the PAM_RUSER variable
is never
set.

Although auth1.c (i.e SSH1) does indeed seem to pass something useful to
do_pam_account
unfortunately we need to be using SSH2 only on the server due to other
constraints.

Does anyone have any idea how this can be circumvented?  Am I missing an
obvious config
file option?  Thanks in advance for any help in this matter, I will of
course pass
back any solutions.

Thanks
	kieran