conditional autoconf for AIX - LOGIN_NEEDS_UTMPX

Mitchell Brandsma MBrandsma at bunnings.com.au
Thu Jul 31 17:56:22 EST 2003

Hi,

Just reporting our findings from a little problem a colleague and I
discovered with the autoconf rules.

Platform AIX-4.3.3, any RML

OpenSSH versions: all from the latest release back to 3.4, identical
symptoms for each version.  This includes the Bull releases and building
from the tarballs.  I'm not sure exactly where between 3.0 and 3.4 it was
introduced but the rest of the facts should speak for themselves.

Symptom: Connecting and logging in corrupted the wtmp file every time.  This
does not occur on AIX5L, and does not occur with OpenSSH versions 3.0 and
earlier.

I tracked down the cause to the change made in June 2002, reported as a bug:
20020623
 - (stevesk) [configure.ac] bug #255 LOGIN_NEEDS_UTMPX for AIX.

>From this point, LOGIN_NEEDS_UTMPX has been defined for all AIX builds.
This is obviously needed for AIX 5L, but breaks 4.3.3's implementation as
above, hence this definition needs to be conditional within the AIX section
of the autoconf rules.  Sorry, I'm no autoconf expert.  However, we ran the
configure, turned the option off for our 4.3.3 boxes, and it compiles and
runs as expected - without wtmp corruption.

I hope you find this useful!

Regards,

Mitchell Brandsma
Systems Administrator, Store Support
Bunnings Building Supplies WA

PS Apologies for the length of the blurb following this, it's automatically
attached by our exchange server.

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1)     This email is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you have received
this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email and
delete the document.

2)     All emails sent to and sent from Bunnings Building Supplies
are scanned for content.  Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
subject matter will be reported to the email administrator of all
parties concerned.