openssh reading only SOME ssh1 hostkeys from ssh.com ssh

Phil Dibowitz phil at ipom.com
Sat Jun 7 14:37:43 EST 2003

Hey folks, I've asked this on the security focus mailing list, but no
one seems to know...

I'm in the process of moving my company from old crufty ssh.com ssh1 to
openssh.

On most of our hosts, we've created rsa and dsa keys but managed to KEEP
the old rsa1 key...

However, on a few hosts, openssh has been unable to read the old rsa1
key and has claimed:

   debug1: Unsupported cipher 1 used in key file /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key.
   Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key

Does anyone know why it is that openssh has this problem only sometimes,
and if there is a way to fix it?

Thanks,
Phil Dibowitz                             phil at ipom.com
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica

  - Benjamin Franklin, 1759