encrypt authentication credentials with payload in the clear?

Nick Lange nicklange at wi.rr.com
Thu Mar 6 14:23:15 EST 2003

Afternoon everyone,
    If everyone is entirely concerned about innocuous commands comming over the ssh session to the shell account, why
not just analyze the shell logs for analysis there?
Tap the destination, not the transit.
[OT, beware]
My solution I had been playing with per an article in sysadmin was logging each individual session to a "log" directory
  broken down by time date etc. You could go one step farther than this however, and mod their favorite shell to flush
it's output to a named pipe for analysis by your IDS of choice. [I would go that extra step and modify their shell not
autoflush so that if they kill -9 their shell you don't lose the session log (bash)].
the data is still protected in transit to the box, and their admin's can still "sniff" the user's traffic for analysis
of bad things.

*shrug*, I guess this is an admin philosophy thing. Being in the named below industry, I've also had this discussion
before. It usually takes planting the idea in peoples heads and letting it simmer for a while until it makes sense to
them; albeit, some poeople refuse to see the pitfalls of cleartext traffic even after being fully informed.
Good luck,
nick