Comments on Bugzilla

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Mon Mar 10 12:04:03 EST 2003

Darren Tucker wrote:

> 	It might be useful if there was an easy way for the core developers to
> recognise that there is a fix attached to the bug to be reviewed and
> applied or rejected (example: there has been an analysis and proposed
> fix attached to bug #245 for nearly three months but it's still listed
> as "NEW" and "critical").

The CVS version of bugzilla has support for patch review which looks
quite nice. When this reaches beta, I'll probably upgrade
bugzilla.mindrot.org.

 > It might be useful if there was a "Proposed Fix" status (or use of
 > "Assigned" or something for that) for the bugs to make them
 > recognisable.  (I am hesitant to assign a bug to openssh-unix-dev
 > since I don't own that address or assign it to myself because it
 > implies I have the authority to fix it).

You are looking for the "patch" keyword. That is the intended way to
mark bugs with supplied fixes. It is underused, but that doesn't mean it
should continue to be.

> 2) Notification email subjects.
> 	Currently Bugzilla sends email notifications with subjects like:
> [Bug bugno] New: Subject of bug (for a new bug)
> [Bug bugno] Subject of bug (for changes to bug)
>
> 	Additionally, if anyone replies to a notification, it normally appears
> with "Re: " prepended.
>
> 	If you're trying to follow old discussions in the list archive it's
> very difficult since the bugzilla notifications are not threaded.
>
> 	Would it be possible to have bugzilla generate subjects like:
> [Bug bugno] Subject of bug (for a new bug)
> Re: [Bug bugno]: Subject of bug (for changes to a bug)
>
> 	The list archives and threading mailreaders might be able to do a
> better job of stringing them together.

Good idea - I have changed Bugzilla so it should do this in future. If
anyone was relying on the status keyword, you can get at it in the
X-Bugzilla-Status header now.

-d