Transfer rate issues with OpenSSH SFTP Server - Verified on Mac OS X 10.2.X and FreeBSD 5.0

Scott Burch scott.burch at camberwind.com
Tue Mar 25 05:49:29 EST 2003

Hello,

I have dealt with this issue and discovered that it has a lot to do with
the compiler used to build openssh (or possibly the compiler flags).
Below is some discussion I had with people inside my company regarding
this issue and how I resolved the problem on Solaris: (If you want more
details let me know.)

(Internal discussion of this issue below)

I had a discussion with [name removed] regarding performance issues of
my openssh package; I confirmed there was indeed a problem. I have
discovered that compiling the components with Sun's compiler is the
source of the problem. The version I compiled with gcc 3.2 works great.
This morning I did a test from my Windows 2000 PC with Secure FX 2.1
transferring the same 137 MB file below....my throughput was over 430
KB/s; obviously Solaris w/openssh client is much faster than Secure FX
on our 2000 builds, but the throughput I got was almost 2x faster than
[name removed] transfer (using Secure FX on his laptop) to [server name
removed] (running ssh.com's 2.2.0).

-Scott

(End Discussion)

Scott Burch <scott.burch at camberwind.com>