Portable OpenSSH: Dangerous AIX linker behavior (aixgcc.adv)

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Fri May 2 05:05:07 EST 2003

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Shiva Persaud wrote:

> Taken from IBM's AIX vendor response (http://lists.insecure.org/lists/bugtraq/2000/Mar/0184.html) to this issue when discussed in 2000:
>

> <BEGIN>
> The AIX version 4 linker has always documented the -blibpath option as a
> mechanism for removing build environment dependencies from a runtime
> environment. Applications that gain privilege should always use this
> option to remove library search paths that may not/should not exist on
> customer machines.
>

> The use of relative library paths is also highly discouraged. While
> they can be useful, the -blibpath option should also be used to not only
> avoid these types of security issues, but to remove the possibility of
> finding (or not finding at all) the wrong relative directory, since
> relative paths at runtime will be based upon the current working
> directory.

Summary version:  "We feel we are right even if it is a bad 'feature' to
have on by default."

I find this view to be pretty bullshit response that shows lack of real
world development experience.  Dangerous features should require enabling
not disabling.

I'm very disappointed in this choice by IBM.

- Ben