openssh 3.6.1_p2 problem with pam (fwd)

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Sat May 3 00:42:51 EST 2003

Thomas Binder wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 08:37:27AM -0500, Douglas E. Engert wrote:
> > I saw a similiar problem with 3.6.1p2 when using PAM on HP UX 11.0
> > Rather then a 2 second delay, it got a segfault.
> >
> > This got around the problem, but it is not clear why this code which was
> > in 3.5 was deleted. The PAM code is being called with a password=""
> > for some reason, then loks like it is called again later for real.
> >
> > I still have problems with passwords on HP, but Solaris works,
> > so this is not the total solution.
>
> Simply setting
>
> PermitEmptyPasswords no
>
> in sshd_config is not enough?

It does not appear so. The default is no, and that is what is set.

I was pointing out that some code was changed, which could have caused
the PAM to be called with "" which did not appear to be the case in
3.5.  I was wondering why this was removed.

The segfault I am getting, appears to come from not being able to load
one of my PAM modules, pam_krb5. If I can figure this out, I will