Bus error with gssapi on HP-UX PA-RISC(32bit)

Simon Wilkinson sxw at inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue May 6 01:58:28 EST 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Shaji Vinod wrote:

> I have a problem in the gssapi patch.
>
> I have applied the gssapi patch for 3.4 version on
> OpenSSH-3.5 and built the
> source on HP-UX 11.11 (32 bit hardware).

Firstly, there's now a patch available for 3.6.1p2. I'd recommend
using this instead of the older patches, as it fixes a number of issues
which may cause interop problems with other vendors GSSAPI code.

> This is only happening when "-l" option is given. But
> when this given just
> as "ssh hostname" it works fine.

When you say "works fine", do you mean that you successfully get a GSSAPI
session, or just that they program no longer gives a SIGBUS.

> So, the main problem
> is with
> "generic_gss_release_buffer". Particularly this is
> happening when the client
> system do not have /etc/krb5.conf file. If there is a
> file /etc/krb5.conf,
> then this error does not araise.

I suspect that what you're seeing is a knock-on failure from the GSSAPI
client library failing due to the lack of a configuration file. If the
GSSAPI library doesn't modify the value of its output variables in a
failure state, its possible that the patches, as they stand, may try to
free unallocated memory.

I'm currently testing a fix for the 3.6.1p2 patches to solve this.

Cheers,

Simon.