openssh - problem displaying who command in shell

Kumaresh kumaresh_ind at gmx.net
Fri Nov 7 03:26:48 EST 2003

Hi All,

In one of our HP-UX system, the display of the terminal settings is not
working when I configure my .profile file with the shell command [who -Rm].

I use "who -Rm" in my .profile for root user. When I login thro ssh,
sometimes, the current terminal details are not printed, when the shell [I
am using ksh] commands in the .profile file is executed. When we introduce a
sleep command in the profile file before this who command, all the time the
current terminal details gets printed.

Is this an issue with the sshd that the child reads the utmp entry before
the tty and records are properly written to utmp?

Do anyone shed some light, how we can avoid this?

Advance Thanks,
Kumaresh.