scp vs ftp performance on SGI IRIX????????

Mordechai T. Abzug morty at frakir.org
Fri Nov 7 08:02:06 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:27:40AM -0800, Rick Jones wrote:

> So, 1GB is 1048576 KB.  1048576 KB divided by 107840 packets is
> 9956.8 bytes per packet.  That seems rather odd because it is larger
> even than the bytes per packet I would expect if JumboFrame (9000
> byte MTU) were enabled.

Where did the snoop run?  If the snoop ran on one of the endpoints, it
can interact with the actual data transfer.  Dropped packets with
sniffers are pretty normal, and under some OSs (don't know about
IRIX), you can't rely on correct stats for dropped packets.

Also, are the packet counts bidirectional or unidirectional -- ACKs
matter.

- Morty Abzug