SSH1 vs. SSH2 - compression level

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Fri Nov 7 11:32:00 EST 2003

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
[snip]
> I was wondering, why setting the Compression Level was removed in SSH2,
> and if on, is always set to 6.

Unless I read it wrong, the SSHv2 protocol standard does not provide a way
to set the compression level [0].  I don't know why this is, perhaps
someone else knows the reasoning behind it?

See section 5.2 here:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-transport-17.txt

Compare with the SSHv1 RFC:
http://www.zip.com.au/~dtucker/openssh/ssh-rfc-v1.txt
(see the description of the SSH_CMSG_REQUEST_COMPRESSION packet type).

[0] Ignoring implementation-specific extensions, eg "zlib-1 at openssh.com"
through "zlib-9 at openssh.com" or something.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)