SSH1 vs. SSH2 - compression level

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Thu Nov 13 04:13:19 EST 2003

Markus Friedl wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 11:32:00AM +1100, Darren Tucker wrote:
>

>>[0] Ignoring implementation-specific extensions, eg "zlib-1 at openssh.com"
>>through "zlib-9 at openssh.com" or something.
>>

>yes, but i don't think it's worth the trouble.

Hmmm.  Here's a neat trick, which we can only do because the compression
implementations tend to be stable:

If client supports compression, receive some amount of compressed data
from them and recompress it ourselves, looking for the closest match
between how large the client's version of the data is vs. how large ours
is.  If level 9 yields 50 bytes and level 1 yields 120 bytes, and we
received a 120 byte compressed message, output all further messages at
level 1.

We can even create a sample message (of SSH type IGNORE) with content
specifically tuned to result in different sizes for different
compression levels.  This would allow us to improve the consistency of
the results.

It'd be one heck of a stunt :)

--Dan