Testing of recent commits

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Wed Nov 19 18:41:48 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:32:51AM +1100, Darren Tucker wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> [current won't build on Cygwin]
> > 20031015
> >     - (dtucker) [acconfig.h configure.ac dns.c openbsd-compat/getrrsetbyname.c
> >       openbsd-compat/getrrsetbyname.h] DNS fingerprint support is now always
> >       compiled in but disabled in config.
> >
> > The problem is that this change requires a system to have the
> > DNS query functions and header files arpa/nameser.h and resolv.h
> > which are not available on Cygwin.  There exists an implementation
> > but it's not part of Cygwin so far.
>
> That change matched one synced from OpenBSD where all of the "#ifdef DNS"
> fragments vanished.  Maybe portable needs them back, or needs some dummy
> resolver functions in openbsd-compat?  There's a chance some other
> platforms will have the same issue too.

It does break HP-UX 10.20:
OpenSSH has been configured with the following options:
                     User binaries: /usr/local/openssh1/bin
                   System binaries: /usr/local/openssh1/sbin
               Configuration files: /etc/ssh1
                   Askpass program: /usr/local/openssh1/libexec/ssh-askpass
                      Manual pages: /usr/local/openssh1/man/manX
                          PID file: /var/run1
  Privilege separation chroot path: /var/empty
            sshd default user PATH: /usr/local/openssh1/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/
bin
                    Manpage format: man
                       DNS support:
                       PAM support: no
                 KerberosV support: no
                 Smartcard support: no
                     S/KEY support: no
              TCP Wrappers support: yes
              MD5 password support: no
       IP address in $DISPLAY hack: yes
           Translate v4 in v6 hack: no
                  BSD Auth support: no
              Random number source: OpenSSL internal ONLY

              Host: hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20
          Compiler: cc -Ae
    Compiler flags: -g -Ae +DAportable
Preprocessor flags: -I/usr/local/ssl/include -I/usr/local/include  -D_HPUX_SOURC
E -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1
      Linker flags: -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/lib
         Libraries: -lwrap  -lz -lxnet  -lsec -lcrypto
        cc -Ae -g -Ae +DAportable -I. -I.. -I. -I./.. -I/usr/local/ssl/include -
I/usr/local/include  -D_HPUX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 -
DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c getrrsetbyname.c
cc: "../openbsd-compat/glob.h", line 44: warning 617: Redeclaration of tag "stat
" ignored.
cc: "getrrsetbyname.c", line 265: error 1588: "T_SIG" undefined.
cc: "getrrsetbyname.c", line 264: warning 563: Argument #3 is not the correct ty
pe.
cc: "getrrsetbyname.c", line 292: error 1563: Expression in if must be scalar.
cc: "getrrsetbyname.c", line 366: error 1588: "HFIXEDSZ" undefined.
cc: "getrrsetbyname.c", line 366: warning 563: Argument #3 is not the correct ty
pe.
cc: "getrrsetbyname.c", line 367: error 1603: Incompatible operands: assign oper
ator.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
HP-UX 10.20 is shipped with Bind4.

(BTW: Please note the "DNS support:" line.)

I have Bind 8 libraries installed on my system, so I gave it another try:
[...]

E -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 -I/usr/local/bind/include
      Linker flags: -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/local/bind/lib
         Libraries: -lwrap  -lz -lxnet  -lsec -lbind -lcrypto

This time it will break in a more subtle manner:
Bind 8 include files come with its own <arpa/inet.h>. By specifying
-I/usr/local/bind/include the <arpa/inet.h> from Bind 8 will be used instead
of the system file. As -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 is specified in the
HP-UX 10.20 configuration, htons() etc macros are no longer handled by
<netinet/in.h> but by <arpa/inet.h>. The <arpa/inet.h> shipped with
Bind 8 however does not know about this subtle difference: it does not
include this macros such that linking fails due to undefined symbols of
htons() and friends.
(You may consider this to be a bug in the Bind 8 distribution; I would however
recommend to handle the DNS resolver lib problem inside OpenSSH instead
of requiring the installation of a "patched up" Bind 8 on HP-UX 10.20.
Note: I have verified that this issue is still valid up to 8.4.1)

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/