Testing of recent commits

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Fri Nov 21 01:57:19 EST 2003

Hi Ben,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:39:33AM -0600, Ben Lindstrom wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> [..]
> > Another FYI:  Minires is part of the Cygwin net distribution since today.
> > The configure problem has been solved by introducing sort of weak symbols
> > similar to the Linux libresolv.so.
> >
> > So, current OpenSSH finally builds and runs on Cygwin again, if the minires
> > and minres-devel packages from the net distribution are installed.
>
> I'm wondering if within the cygwin autoconf section if a check for minires
> should be preformanced and the compile should abort with an error about
> lack of an advanced resolver?

hmm, I don't think so.  The reason is, IMHO the configure script should
now fail on all systems if the dependency to res_query couldn't be
resolved and if the necessary resolv.h file couldn't be found.  It's
nothing special in Cygwin.  You'll get the same problem on any system
when you don't have all necessary devel packages installed.

When I create the Cygwin net distro package for the next version of
OpenSSH, I will also add a package dependency to minires and minires-devel.

> BTW.. Thanks.  I was not looking forward to the idea of adding the '#ifdef
> DNS' back in. =)

You're welcome.  When looking into the problem two days ago, I saw that
this would have been next to a nightmare...

However, we're all more or less busy people, so one can't always keep
up with the progress of all packages.  A heads-up right after merging
such a suspicious patch into the portable version would be nice(tm).

Another, unrelated question:  Any plans in the OpenBSD version, to remove
all occurencies of __progname with calls to getprogname()?  This would
be a good idea, IMHO.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen