Auto-compress mode for ssh

Wout Mertens wmertens at cisco.com
Fri Nov 28 18:44:35 EST 2003

Hi,

I looked in the archives, but didn't see this asked for before:

Would it be possible to have an "auto-compress" mode for ssh where
compression is turned on automatically if it makes sense?

You could turn it on if you don't care about cpu usage and lag, but just
about the speed of transfer.

The way I see it working is that when running uncompressed, ssh turns on
compression every once in a while and sees if this results in higher
throughput, turning on compression permanently if so.  And the other way
round of course.

Wout.

PS: Can you please copy me on replies? I'm not subscribed.