sftp reget/reput

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Wed Sep 17 14:03:13 EST 2003

It's a mighty inefficient codepath that literally reads data out of
order and sends it such; disk seek times are deadly.  That being said,
simply implement a cache that handles out of order transactions and only
writes to disk complete windows of data.  This does mean memory usage
can grow in case of a small missing block, but certainly we can control
that by monitoring our number of outstanding requests and failing to
issue more when the server obstinately refuses to give us one particular
entry.

This is, of course, directly analogous to a TCP Window.

--Dan