Explanation Please: No more AFS support

David R. Steiner david.r.steiner at Dartmouth.EDU
Tue Sep 23 06:10:29 EST 2003

Please excuse me if this was discussed before and I missed it but
could someone please explain why AFS support was dropped from OpenSSH
3.7.1p1?

Since OpenAFS does not seem to show any signs of going away, it seems
like this kind of puts those of us who use AFS in the position of
having to apply patches to and maintain our own source tree for
3.6.1p1 whenever a change is made if we want to continue to use
OpenSSH and AFS on our machines. This strategy is working for the
moment but as new versions of OpenSSH are released, I can foresee a
point when this is no longer going to be viable.

I am not trying to start any wars here but I am curious as to the
rationale behind decision.

Thanks,
-David-
--
David R. Steiner                               david.r.steiner at dartmouth.edu
UNIX System Manager                            Phone:  603.646.3127