hostbased authentication/reverse name lookup

Jeremy Peterson jeremyp8 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 09:18:15 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this... sorry in advance if
it's not.

I've been trying to use ip addresses for hostbased authentication. It
doesn't seem to work unless the ip addresses can be reverse resolved. I've
found some messages related to this. In fact, it seems that this question
was asked before on this list, but I could not find a direct answer to this
question.

Is it possible to use ip addresses that cannot be reverse resolved for
hostbased authentication?
If so, how?
If not, why not?

Is there any documentation I missed?