SSH login attempts: tcpdump packet capture

Jay Libove libove at felines.org
Mon Aug 2 04:03:39 EST 2004

I got a packet capture of one of the SSH2 sessions trying to log in as a
couple of illegal usernames.  The contents of one packet suggests an
attempt to buffer overflow the SSH server;  ethereal's SSH decoding says
"overly large value".

It didn't seem to work against my system (I see no strange processes
running; all files changed in past ten days look normal).

I am cross-posting this message and the attached tcpdump packet capture
file to the following places to let better people than I analyze it:
	openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org
	secureshell at securityfocus.com
	full-disclosure at lists.netsys.com
	vulnwatch at vulnwatch.org