Command-line parsing bug?

Tjavdar Ivanov tjiva at ing.hj.se
Tue Aug 3 11:01:55 EST 2004

Hi Michal and thanks a lot!

Preceding with pathname worked fine. I should have
thought of it myself, I'm probably growing older.

Still, I suppose that it might be a good idea if this exception is mentioned
in the man-page. (Remember those old days when we tried to figure out how to
remove a file starting with a dash. After much cursing we RTFM, and there it
was: "rm -- -foo", et voilà, the file was gone!).

I suppose that files with ":" might be not so exceptional these days (well,
except on Macs). Myself, I ran upon this difficulty when I tried to scp a
bunch of photos, all of them named after date and time of creation
(yyyy-mm-dd__hh:mm:ss.jpg), which can be quite a common naming convention in
these digital camera ages.

Tjanks again and I hope you have nice summer holidays,
//Tj.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Michal Pasternak wrote:

> Tjavdar Ivanov [Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 04:43:30PM +0200]:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > There seems to be no way to scp a file containig ":" in its name, e.g.,
> >
> >   scp file-with-colon-in-its-name:   user at localhost:
>
> Try:
>
>     scp ./file-with-colon-in-its-name:   user at localhost:
>
> --
> The programmers you'll be able to hire to work on a Java project won't be as
> smart as the ones you could get to work on a project written in Python.
> -- seen at http://www.paulgraham.com/gh.html

Tjavdar Ivanov
Dept. of Mathematics, School of Engineering,
Jönköping University, P.O Box 1026 : SE-551 11 Jönköping, Sweden
tel. 036-15 78 56 (off), 036-10 04 08 (h), 0709-20 36 11 (mobile)