ssh remote command fuser problem

Swift, Louise louise.swift at hants.gov.uk
Tue Aug 10 00:48:00 EST 2004

I've set up public/private key authentication between a
Solaris 9 system running SSH Version Sun_SSH_1.0, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.  and a
Soalris 8 system running OpenSSH_3.8p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004

Cannot get remote command fuser to work (although other commands ok)

I've got ssh and sftp and scp finally to work, but I am left with one problem, I can use ssh from sol9 to sol8 to start a remote session. I can ssh from sol9 to sol8 to execute some remote commands, but not fuser
i.e.  all from the solaris 9 system
ssh userid at anothersol9 ls       works fine
ssh userid at anothersol9 fuser afile 	works fine
ssh userid at sol8 ls		works fine
ssh userid at sol8 fuser afile  fails, I get
select: Bad file number

Having seen this type of message before when it was to do with paths, I have tried the following...
created a logical link from /usr/bin/fuser to the /usr/sbin/bin/fuser , still got the same 'select: Bad file number'
created a test file in the home directory of the userid on the sol8 (server) system and tried
ssh userid at sol8 ./test 		and it worked ok, so I tried creating a logical link from the home directory of
					userid on sol8 called fuser poinint to /usr/sbin/fuser and tried again
ssh userid at sol8 ./fuser a file	and it still failed with 'select: Bad file number' . I even tried copying fuser to
					home directory of userid on sol8 , and even though ssh userid at sol8 ./test
					works , ssh userid at sol8 ./fuser a file 	still fails

I'm really stuck , any help/hints  gratefully received

Louise.Swift at hants.gov.uk