Pending OpenSSH release, call for testing.

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Fri Aug 13 19:45:13 EST 2004

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> The testsuite fails on Cygwin in the "pass multiple env, accept multiple env"
> test in envpass.sh.  I don't know why since it's no problem to send
> env. variables usually.

I took a quick look.  The failure is a little earlier at "test
environment passing: pass env, don't accept".  It looks like a false
alarm, but I'm not sure what to do other than skip this test on Cygwin.

$  make tests LTESTS=envpass
[...]
run test envpass.sh ...
test environment passing: pass env, don't accept
environment found
test environment passing: don't pass env, accept
test environment passing: pass single env, accept single env
test environment passing: pass multiple env, accept multiple env
failed environment passing

This appears to be due to this fragment of session.c:

#ifdef HAVE_CYGWIN
         /*
          * The Windows environment contains some setting which are
          * important for a running system. They must not be dropped.
          */
         copy_environment(environ, &env, &envsize);
#endif

The test environment (_XXX*) variables are set in the shell and get
inherited by ssh, then by sshd (which is run by ssh as a proxycommand).

On most platforms, only selected environment variables are copied, but
on Cygwin all are, including the _XXX ones.  They are not accepted by
sshd but are nonetheless present in the shell sshd runs and thus the
test fails.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.