sftp with a user defined shell

Srinivas Gopaladasu srinivas_gopaladasu at net.com
Wed Aug 18 05:46:08 EST 2004

Hi,

I have a different behavior using sftp compared to ftp for a user with a
user defined shell on a solaris machine.

ftp rejects any user having a user defined shell.
sftp is allowing the user with user defined shell, unfortunately as the
sftp client bails out saying the following message:
"Received message too long 537548147"

Is it because the user shell, outputting lot of text?

I am OK with this behaviour, if no traces of the initiated session is
left behind.
But the problem for me is that the user shell is left behind running
myuser1   7015  0.1  0.1 1680 1256 ?        S 12:38:03  0:00 /bin/csh
/bin/my_sh -c /opt/openssh/libexec/sftp

As my_sh needs a tty and because of a bug in that, it runs in a while
loop and takes up lot of cpu.

If only sftp supports only the shells returned from "getusershell"
function, sftp would be consistent with ftp and my problem will be solved.
Do we have any patch for this?

I appreciate any thoughts, comments and help to solve my problem.

Thanks
Srini